One of many Norman coastal strongholds built to consolidate their hold over west Wales, the castle overlooks the Taf Estuary and was probably founded in the early 12th century as an earth and timber fort.
It was rebuilt in stone in the 13th and 14th centuries and became the home of the de Brian family. Much of the structure survives, including the large round towers and the gatehouse.
It was granted to Sir John Perrot in 1584 and he transformed it into a fine mansion
During the Civil War the castle saw active service after which it declined into a romantic ruin and became the subject of a dramatic water colour by J M W Turner.
Extensive restorations include a Georgian and Victorian garden and a Gazebo in which Dylan Thomas used to write. Robert Hughes, author of the book ‘A High Wind in Jamaica’ also wrote here.
Location: SN 303107, on the A4066 from St Clears
Telephone 01994 427906
Limited summer opening
In the care of Cadw