The castle occupies a position on a wooded headland overlooking Oxwich Bay on the Gower Peninsular.
Although it may occupy the site of an earlier fortification, this is a castle in name only as it is a grand Tudor manor house built in courtyard style.
A product of the peaceful 16th century, Oxwich was built by Sir Rice Mansel to provide sumptuous accommodation. He gave it a mock military gateway complete with family coat of arms. Sir Rice’s work was confined to the southern block and was completed between the 1520s and 30s.
On Mansel’s death his son, Sir Edward Mansel succeeded to the property and between 1560-80 created the much grander style multi-storied range which contained an impressive hall and elegant long gallery – a fashionable Elizabethan feature.
The 6 storey south-east tower which still survives probably accommodated the family and servants.
After the Mansel’s moved out in the 1630s the castle fell into disrepair and the south range was used as a farmhouse.
A4118 Gower road Swansea – Port Eynon in Oxwich village
Telephone: 01792 390359
In the care of Cadw: Telephone 029 20 500200