Parishpictures25.htm

Picture Gallery – 25

Carmarthen Station Looking East

Before 1938. Carmarthen once had a busy local railway industry. The so-called down-sizing by Dr. Beeching in the mid 20th century sounded the death knell for Carmarthen’s railway.

This photograph is interesting because it was taken before the County Hall was built on Goal Hill (far left of picture).

Carmarthen Goal was built on the site of Carmarthen Castle by Architect John Nash between 1789 and 1792 and was demolished in 1938 to make way for the new County Hall which was completed in 1948.

With the closure of the branch line from Carmarthen via Abergwili Junction to Llandeilo the line which once crossed the River Towy on the bridge (seen below) north of Carmarthen station which led to the branch line running along the north bank of the River Towy from Carmarthen to Llandeilo via Abergwilli Junction, Nantgaredig, and Dryslwyn. The bridge is no longer in existence. 

The Bridge which carried the Branch line over the River Towy

Another bridge, a white painted Bascule bridge {built 1933 by the Great Western Railway) spanned the river at Johnstown and carried the railway over the Towy. It was designed by Ralph Freeman, a top engineer, and constructed by the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Company of Darlington.

There are five fixed spans and a roller lift span carried on 14 iron cylinders braced with lattice girders ornamented with cast-iron moulded capitals.

The lifting span is a balanced cantilever carried on steel plate bearing girders supported on two sets of cylinders. The span was operated by gearing carried on trestles on cantilevers on either side of the bridge

The bridge  was last used in the late 1950s by Major Terence Fisher-Hoch of The Plas, Llansteffan, when he sailed his yacht Pisces of Towy upstream to Carmarthen.

The bridge has been listed by Cadw and funds are being sought for its restoration. (Carmarthen Journal, January 8 2003)

Prior to the Beeching cuts there was a branch line running along the north bank of the River Towy from Carmarthen to Llandeilo via Abergwilli Junction, Nantgaredig, and Dryslwyn. When line was axed the only rail access to Carmarthen was along the coast from Swansea

no responses for Parishpictures25.htm

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *